top of page

Premier League Hat-tricks (part 1)

Whilst we're all ready and waiting for the new season to kick-off and celebrating an immediate return to the Premier League. I'll talk you through, in a two-part special, all thirteen of Newcastle's hat-tricks that have been scored at Premier League level.

An interesting stat is that six of those hat-tricks came in the 1993/94 and 2010/11 seasons put together. Those two seasons were Newcastle's first season back in the top flight. Let's hope we can produce more of the same in the near future.


Peter Beardsley v Wimbledon (home) (4-0) - 30th October

After two consecutive defeats to QPR and Southampton, Newcastle responded in perfect fashion with a convincing 4-0 home win against Wimbledon which saw the legend Peter Beardsley grab himself a hat-trick.

Beardsley opened the scoring after 36 minutes from the penalty spot, sending the goalkeeper the wrong way in the process. A quarter of an hour into the second half, Andy Cole doubled the lead, pouncing on the rebound of Lee Clark's deflected effort.

We didn't have to wait long for Beardsley's second and Newcastle's third, a free-kick from just outside the box was arrowed low into the corner. The fourth was added a few minutes later. Andy Cole's blocked shot fell kindly to Beardsley just outside the six-yard box and delightfully dinked it over the goalkeeper to complete his hat-trick.

Andy Cole v Liverpool (home) (3-0) - 21st November

Newcastle's first of many Premier League encounters with Liverpool saw Andy Cole run the show as he bagged a hat-trick after only half an hour played, this is still the earliest point in a match that a Newcastle player scored a hat-trick goal in the Premier League.

The deadlock was broken very early on, Rob Lee knocked in a low cross from the left and a sliding Cole got the crucial touch just before Bruce Grobelaar could reach it. After 15 minutes, Cole capitalised on poor Liverpool defending. Scott Sellars found himself in plenty of space on the left side, he played the ball into Cole who helped it on its way into the net to double the lead.

The hat-trick was complete right on the half hour mark as Sellars, in space once again, played it into Cole who was ready and waiting to finish. As Liverpool looked for an offside flag, Newcastle were celebrating their three-goal advantage.

Andy Cole v Coventry (home) (4-0) - 23rd February

Cole grabbed his second hat-trick of the season as Newcastle went into the game on the back of three consecutive defeats against Southampton, Wimbledon and Blackburn. Fortunately, the win against Coventry was the start of a six-game winning streak as wins against Sheffield Wednesday, Swindon, West Ham, Ipswich and Norwich followed.

The deadlock was broken shortly after the start of the second half. Goalkeeper Pavel Srnicek's long kick upfield forced a Coventry defender into an underhit backpass which Cole pounced onto before lobbing the Coventry goalkeeper to set him up for a close range tap in. Cole added his and Newcastle's second after the rebound of Ruel Fox's long range effort fell very kindly to the prolific goalscorer and finished with aplomb to put some daylight between the two sides.

The hat-trick came soon after as Peter Beardsley skilled his way past a couple of defenders and looked to want to have a shot himself but the ball fell at Cole's feet and he finished with the side of his foot into the bottom left corner. Alex Mathie completed the rout with a goal of his own after coming off the bench.


Les Ferdinand v Wimbledon (home) (6-1) - 21st October

The home match against Wimbledon came in the middle of an impressive unbeaten run for Newcastle lasting three months (11 matches) during the first half of the season. Ferdinand, who had recently signed for the club, was already off to a flyer on Tyneside and couldn't stop scoring so his hat-trick against Wimbledon would have come as little surprise.

Defender, Steve Howey already broke the deadlock after half an hour with a header which Ferdinand nearly got on the end of but allowed the goal-bound header to pass him into the net. A few minutes later, Ferdinand put some daylight between the two teams as he made the most of an excellent David Ginola cross by heading the ball out of the goalkeeper's reach to double the lead.

In the final minutes of the first half, Ferdinand scored again. This time, the assist coming from a right-sided cross from Keith Gillespie. Ferdinand bravely dived in low with the goalkeeper just inside the six-yard box and his header looped into the air before resting in the back of the net. The hat-trick was secured in the second half to make the score 5-1. Gillespie's cross found the head of Rob Lee to create the chance for Ferdinand who duly scored from close range. Outfield player turned actor, Vinnie Jones, who was forced to be the new goalkeeper, got a hand to it but ended up joining the large list of goalkeepers beaten by Les Ferdinand.


Alan Shearer v Leicester (home) (4-3) - 2nd February

A match that made it into the history books and still fondly remembered by Newcastle fans today. It was, club legend and record goalscorer, Alan Shearer's first of two Premier League hat-tricks for the club.

Another club veteran, Robbie Elliott opened the scoring early on but it wasn't until the second half that the match burst into life. Three Leicester goals in thirteen minutes from Matt Elliott, Steve Claridge and Emile Heskey appeared to secure the win for the Foxes but it's not over until it's over sometimes when it comes to football. With Leicester winning 3-1 with 13 minutes to go, Shearer rifled a free-kick into the top corner to give Newcastle a route back into the game.

On 83 minutes, Leicester were left disappointed having let their two-goal lead slip. Shearer, this time, received the ball on the 18-yard line from Les Ferdinand. Shearer took three small touches to control it before placing it into the bottom left to equalise. The match reached a dramatic conclusion in the dying minutes. Some good passing between Rob Lee, Les Ferdinand and Lee Clark then set Rob Lee off into some space in the box and played the ball across the six-yard box to an eagerly waiting Shearer to score a goal that would have been harder to miss. Newcastle ran out as victors in this thrilling encounter.


Alan Shearer v Sheffield Wednesday (home) (8-0) - 19th September

After seven games in the season, both teams were occupying the bottom two places in the league so it may have something of a surprise that this win for Newcastle still remains their biggest win in the Premier League era with Shearer scoring five of the eight goals. Young defender, Aaron Hughes already put Newcastle ahead before Shearer began his rout. A quick exchange between Nolberto Solano and Kieron Dyer by the corner flag enabled Solano to knock a good quality cross for Shearer who helped the ball into the bottom corner.

His second and Newcastle third came just three minutes later and from the penalty spot. Shearer placed it into the top left corner, his preferred place to plant his spot kicks. He then grabbed his hat-trick before half time. Kieron Dyer's cross was met by a sliding Shearer at the far post to give Newcastle a considerable lead going into half time.

Second half goals from Kieron Dyer and Gary Speed contributed to the growing lead before Shearer grabbed his fourth and fifth in the closing stages. His fourth coming from a Solano free kick crossed into the box. Wednesday keeper, Kevin Pressman's lame punch fell straight to Shearer who put into the gaping goal with a first time shot. The fifth, yet again, came from the penalty spot. The win giving the new manager, Sir Bobby Robson, plenty to smile about on his first home match in charge of the club.


Michael Owen v West Ham (away) (4-2) - 17th December

With exactly one week before Christmas, Owen's hat-trick and three points coming away from home against newly promoted West Ham managed by Alan Pardew was a welcome gift for everyone at Newcastle. This was the first Newcastle Premier League hat-trick for over six years.

Owen gave the visitors at Upton Park the lead early on. He made the most of a pocket space to run into and found the ball at his feet before hitting the ball home. West Ham had equalised before Owen scored his second of the match to regain the lead. A free-kick crossed into the box by specialist, Nobby Solano was met by Owen's head and went into the bottom corner at the far post.

With Newcastle leading 3-2 in the closing minutes of the match, West Ham threw many players forward in an attempt to salvage something from the match. This enabled Owen to not have to work hard to complete the hat-trick as it was laid on a plate for him but it wrapped up the points as Newcastle ran out 4-2 winners.

I hope you have enjoyed looking back at a few of the hat-tricks we have scored in the Premier League. I will be back next week with the second, and final, part of our Premier League hat-tricks.

bottom of page