top of page

Nottingham Forest 1-2 Newcastle United

The City Ground was the venue for the latest round of the Premier League for Nottingham and Newcastle as both sides battled for precious points to help them achieve their retrospective challenges for this campaign. It was the Magpies who left the happier side after the game as they came back from a goal down to win 2-1 thanks to two goals from Alexander Isak either side of half-time.

Steve Cooper made four changes to his Nottingham side that lost to Tottenham. Brennan Johnson passed his fitness test to take his place in the starting eleven. Joe Worrall, Remo Freuler, Jesse Lingard and Orel Mangala all dropped in place of Moussa Niakhate, Emmanuel Dennis, Andre Ayew and Ryan Yates. Eddie Howe fielded the same side that won against Wolverhampton Wanderers. The only absentee being Miguel Almiron who has a thigh injury.

Willock had the first chance of the game just after five minutes, Murphy done well to get a cross in from out wide which fell to the former Arsenal youngster but his first time effort from close range sailed wide. The visitors would have been wondering if they would get any luck this game as they were denied by the crossbar with just over ten minutes played. Trippier played his free-kick short to Isak who shot first time, his effort was then attempted to be cleared by Lodi but he scuffed it and somehow it deflected onto the crossbar and into the arms of Navas. The host side had their first real attack on 17minutes when Johnson cut in from the left before firing a swerving effort at Pope, luckily for Newcastle it was a routine save. The home side took the lead in the 25th minute and it was once more a defensive cock up which caused it. Shelvey launched the ball up field, Botman fluffed his attempt of knocking the ball to Pope and Dennis capitalises by chipping the ball into the back of the net. Newcastle were once more denied by the crossbar not long after the half hour mark, Murphy’s cutback found Longstaff on the edge of the box who shot at goal but his effort was deflected and looped onto the bar. Newcastle levelled things up just before the break. Willock lofted a perfect cross into the box, it was behind Isak but that didn’t matter…the Swedish international somehow managed to get his leg behind him and guide it into the far corner past Navas. Half Time Nottingham Forest 1 Newcastle United 1.

Anderson was denied what would have been a stunning goal shortly after the start of the second half. Murphy whipped a cross into the box which fell to Anderson who struck it first time, only to be denied by Navas who had to react quickly. Shelvey unleased an effort at goal from distance ten minutes into the second half but his shot drifted wide. Guimaraes forced Navas into action as the clock struck 60minutes, the Brazilian shot from inside the box and the keeper had to tip it over. Newcastle were denied a fine goal by VAR with just under half an hour left to play. Isak crossed the ball into the box, Anderson rose highest and headed it past Navas into the corner of the net but after a lengthy review, VAR decided that a Newcastle player was offside in the process. Murphy perhaps should have put his side in the lead with just over ten minutes to play, Trippier linked up well with Anderson who sent the ball into the box for Murphy who lashed his volley wide. Pope had to react quickly and get down low to deny Johnson’s low drive with his foot. As the game entered the whopping six minutes of added time, Newcastle were awarded a penalty when Niakhate handled Willocks cross into the box. Isak stepped up and made no mistake from the spot. Full Time Nottingham Forest 1 Newcastle United 2.

Sutty’s Full Time Thoughts: What a win! A big result for us as we get back to back victories in the Premier League and end Nottingham’s unbeaten run at home. Our build up play was brilliant this evening but we should have wrapped it up much sooner with the amount of chances we had. Elliott Anderson was denied a perfectly good goal for no apparent reason. How can the officiating in this league be so fecking bad! The 20year old academy graduate made an instant impact when he came on at half-time. He done more in five minutes than Allan Saint-Maximin did in 45minutes, the Frenchman had a poor first half and deserved to be withdrawn. Alexander Isak and Jacob Murphy had good games, both linked up well and caused the Nottingham defence issues. The Swedish international took both his goals well and is starting to show why we paid the big bucks for him. He is doing exactly what we are needing and long may it continue. Newcastle are off to a warm weather training camp in Dubai for the international break, I’m looking forward to seeing the results of it when they return. Up the Mags!

What’s Next? Nottingham host Wolverhampton Wanderers at the City Ground on Saturday 1st April in a 3pm KO. Newcastle host Manchester United at St James’ Park on Sunday 2nd April in a 4:30pm KO live on Sky Sports.

Nottingham Forest Line Up: K Navas, M Niakhate, S Aurier, R Lodi, Felipe, J Shelvey (90+5 G Scarpa), M Gibbs-White, B Johnson, R Yates © (57, R Freuler), E Dennis (78,S Surridge), A Ayew (78, N Williams).

Nottingham Forest Bench: W Hennessey, J Worrall, N Williams, H Toffolo, J Colback, R Freuler, Danilo, G Scarpa, S Surridge.

Newcastle United Line Up: N Pope, K Trippier ©, S Botman, F Schar, D Burn, J Willock, S Longstaff, B Guimaraes, A Saint-Maximin (45, E Anderson), A Isak, J Murphy (83, M Ritchie).

Newcastle United Bench: M Dubravka, P Dummett, J Lascelles, J Lewis, M Targett, J Manquillo, M Ritchie, E Anderson, C Wilson.

Match Officials: Paul Tierney (Referee), Constantine Hatzidakis & Neil Davis (Assistant’s), Graham Scott (Fourth Official), Peter Bankes (VAR), Eddie Smart (Assistant VAR).


bottom of page