In April 2020, myself and my brother, David created our individual lists of ranking our top 100 NUFC matches since August 1992.
This series of articles goes through the top 30 from our combined list. The criteria for the rankings in our lists were subjectively about drama, significance, excitement, result and occasion.
25) Newcastle United 1 - 0 Sheffield United - FA Cup Semi-Final (05/04/1998)
Club legend, Alan Shearer scored the game's only goal as the Toon Army were on their way to their first FA Cup Final in 24 years.
After a tightly contested first half , Sheffield United looked the more aggressive whilst Newcastle were creating the more promising chances.
Right on the hour mark, Shearer's goal-bound header was denied by Alan Kelly but Shearer reacted quicker than everyone else to the rebound as he fired into the empty net from close range to send the Newcastle fans wild in Old Trafford. This goal was Shearer's sixth of the 1997/98 FA Cup campaign, almost single-handedly booking their trip to Wembley.
24) Newcastle United 7 - 1 Tottenham Hotspur - Premier League (28/12/1996)
Newcastle United put an end to their poor run of form of seven matches without a win in spectacular style as they ran riot against Spurs at St. James' Park.
A quickfire double from Alan Shearer and Les Ferdinand in the first half got the ball rolling before another quickfire double in the second half from Ferdinand and Rob Lee to give Newcastle an unassailable lead after the hour mark.
Going into the closing stages of the game, Philippe Albert grabbed the fifth before Shearer and Lee got their second goal each to compound the misery on the Tottenham supporters. A last minute consolation from Spurs' Allan Nielsen did not spark any sort willingness of a comeback.
Despite the big win, Kevin Keegan shocked the football world as he resigned from his role just 10 days later.
23) Newcastle United 2 - 0 Nottingham Forest - Championship (29/03/2010)
One of the biggest wins of Newcastle's 2009/10 Championship winning campaign came at the hands of Nottingham Forest who were also in the hunt for promotion to the Premier League.
A goalless first half left the Magpies frustrated. Jonas Gutierrez, a key player that season was excellently contained by future Magpie, James Perch - one of the few opposing players that season to give Gutierrez a hard time.
The deadlock was eventually broken after 71 minutes when Kevin Nolan found Shola Ameobi who fired in from 18 yards via the post before man of the match, Jose Enrique got the celebrations going when he wrapped up proceedings in the 90th minute with his one and only goal for Newcastle.
22) Croatia Zagreb 2 - 2 Newcastle United (AET) (3-4agg.) - Champions League 2nd Qualifying Round 2nd Leg (27/08/1997)
Temuri Ketsbaia came up with the goods deep into extra time as he secured Newcastle United's first qualification to the Champions League.
The first leg, two weeks beforehand, ended in a 2-1 win for Newcastle thanks to a John Beresford double and in Zagreb, Tino Asprilla gave the Magpies a two-goal advantage on aggregate after converting a penalty just before half time.
However shoddy defending was to blame as Croatia Zagreb came back into the tie with goals from Dario Simic and a stoppage time strike from Igor Cvitanovic to send the tie into extra time.
With a penalty shootout looking imminent, the Georgian geordie scored the winning goal to send Newcastle fans into delirium as the late goal meant so much to the club.
21) Newcastle United 6 - 0 Aston Villa - Premier League (22/08/2010)
Newcastle ran out rampant 6-0 winners over Aston Villa in the club's first home game on their return to Premier League football against an Aston Villa side that relegated the Toon to the Championship just 15 months previously.
Midfield man, Joey Barton unleashed a powerful drive from long rangeto give Newcastle their first goal of the campaign before Kevin Nolan headed in from close range and Andy Carroll poked home after Villa failed to clear a corner to give Newcastle a 3-0 lead at half time.
The goals kept coming after Mike Williamson did very well to assist Carroll's second and Nolan added his second to make it five in the closing stages before Carroll came up trumps yet again to become the first Newcastle number nine since Alan Shearer to score a hat-trick.
It was a day of delight for Chris Hughton's side and this was one of three occasions in the 2010/11 season that the Magpies would score five goals or more in a game.
80) Newcastle United 3 - 0 West Ham United - Premier League (26/08/2017)
79) Liverpool 4 - 3 Newcastle United - Premier League (03/04/1996)
78) Tottenham Hotspur 2 - 3 Newcastle United - Premier League (14/01/2007)
77) Newcastle United 7 - 1 Swindon Town - Premier League (12/03/1994)
76) Sunderland 1 - 2 Newcastle United - Premier League (18/10/1992)
75) Newcastle United 3 - 0 Swansea City - Premier League (16/04/2016)
74) Queens Park Rangers 0 - 6 Newcastle United - Championship (13/09/2016)
73) Newcastle United 6 - 1 Tottenham Hotspur - FA Cup 3rd Round Replay (22/19/1999)
72) Newcastle United 2 - 0 Sunderland - Premier League (21/09/2002)
71) Newcastle United 5 - 0 West Ham United - Premier League (05/01/2011)
#Newcastle #NewcastleUnited #NUFC #NewcastleFansTV #NFTV #NUFCFansTV #BestNUFCmatches #Newcastle10SheffieldUnited #Newcastle71Tottenham #Newcastle20NottinghamForest #CroatiaZagreb22Newcastle #Newcastle60AstonVilla #AstonVilla #CroatiaZagreb #DinamoZagreb #nottinghamforest #TottenhamHotspur #SheffieldUnited