top of page

Newcastle 3-0 Southampton | Match Report

On Saturday 10th of March Newcastle went back to winning ways as they swept aside a very poor Southampton side 3-0 at home. Kenedy scored his first two goals for the club in the first half before Matt Ritche wrapped it all up in the second half with a long range finish into the bottom left corner.


Dwight Gayle OFF, Joselu ON (69') Kenedy OFF, Atsu ON (78') Shelvey OFF, Merino ON (83')

Match (First Half)

The first 30 minutes of the game proved to be one of the brightest starts Newcastle have had all season, their first goal came with only 60 seconds gone as Shelvey's long range pass found Kenedy in the air who gracefully took it down with his chest before scuffing the ball into the net. A definite contender for Newcastle's goal of the season as it took some serious skill to take the ball down as he did.

Newcastle could've got a second moments later when another long range ball from Shelvey bounced it's way to Dwight Gayle just outside the box, instead of shooting first time he took a massive, unneeded touch that went comfortably to Saints goalkeeper Alex McCarthey.

The magpies would eventually get their third goal just under the half hour mark via a counter attack started by Perez after Southampton midfielder Mario Lemina completely missed the ball bouncing out to him on the edge of Newcastle's box. After a long run from Ayoze Perez, the Spaniard passed to Gayle in the box who unselfishly played the ball across to Kenedy so he could tap in his second goal. This means that Kenedy is the first Newcastle player to score a brace at St James' Park in the premier league since Georginio Wijnladum during the toon's 5-1 win against Spurs.

Match (Second Half)

In the second half of the game Southampton didn't get much better, they seemed to just roll over and accept defeat. On the 51st minute Ayoze Perez almost gave Newcastle a third via a Kenedy corner when his headed attempt on goal just went over the bar and hit the top netting. Two minutes later, Kenedy almost bagged a hat-trick when DeAndre Yedlin picked him out just inside the box with a pass, but the Brazillian's shot just missed past the left post after a quick turn.

Newcastle did eventually get their third goal in the 56th minute. After a short dribble form Jonjo Shelvey, the ball was passed to Matt Ritchie who hit the ball first time across the floor and into the bottom left corner before doing his signature 'corner flag kick' celebration, this was his second goal of the season and in the last few games it looks like he has finally rediscovered the form he was in last season in the Championship.

Southampton never posed any threat apart from a few late chances in the second half, and their small and constantly booing away support didn't help things for the Saints.

This win meant that Newcastle climbed up to 13th in the table whereas Southampton stayed put in seventeenth.

Next Game

Newcastle's next league game will not be until the 31st of March (home vs. Huddersfield) as our away fixture against Spurs had to be postponed as Tottenham will instead play Swansea away in the FA Cup on the weekend. However, Newcastle will play a friendly away game against Belgian club Royal Antwerp this Sunday to keep the players fit during the extended break.

#Victory #Southampton #Home

bottom of page