top of page

Out Foxed As The Drought Ends

Newcastle faced Leicester in the first game of 2021 for the Mags. Steve Bruce kept the formation that saw his side win an unexpected point against champions Liverpool. In goal was the in-form Karl Darlow. Yedlin kept his place at right wing-back. Ritchie also appearing again on the left. The centre backs consisted of the familiar trio in recent weeks, Schar, Clark and Captain Fernandez. Almiron replaced Murphy on the right flank as Joelinton stayed on the left. We got to see a Longstaff brothers partnership, starting together for the first time since January 2020. Wilson was the main man up top.

Ndidi played the ball through to Maddison in the 3rd minute but after pressure from the Longstaff brothers Maddison found his shot go wide. But seven minutes later in the 10th minute Leicester had a huge opportunity to go in front when Vardy found himself in a good position on the right side inside the box but he elected to lay it off for Tielemans who selflessly tried to set up Castange who couldn't reach the ball. After all the drama the attack was ruled offside on the initial ball into Vardy.

Thirteen Minutes in and Vardy thought he broke the deadlock when he was played in by Maddison, Vardy took the ball in his stride, rounded the keeper and slotted into the back of the net. But linesmans flag went up for offside. Confirmed shortly after by VAR. After the offside goal by Vardy Newcastle went up the pitch five minutes later Yedlin broke away from Forfana and drilled in a cross which was met by the head of Joelinton only to be collected into the arms of Kasper Schmeichel.

Just before halftime Newcastle had a free kick in the middle of the park. Ritchie lobed the ball in only for Clark to flick it wide. Half time: 0-0. Although if the aim of the game was to hit the referee with the ball Newcastle would be 2-1 up.

Straight out from half time and Vardy had yet another chance that went begging when Castange played him through on the left. Vardy then drilled the ball into the side netting. Three minutes later and it was Newcastle who went close with Yedlin getting up the pitch. He played the ball into the box but James Justin was there to nod the ball out for a corner. Ritchie took the corner which was headed out as far as Miguel Almiron who stuck a powerful effort into orbit.

Newcastle had a brilliant opportunity to go in front in the 54th minute when Schar took the ball from deep inside the Toon half, then Schar played a perfect long ball up to Ritchie who held off pressure from the defense then drilled it in for Wilson who lost out to Evans who poked the ball wide.

As luck would have it just a mere minute later Barnes collected the ball, driving it down the flank he picked out Vardy in the box who turned nut megging Fernandez, he picked out James Maddison who smacked a thunderbolt into the roof of a helpless Darlows net. 1-0 Leicester.

Wilson thought he had won a penalty one minute later when he was brought down in the box by Castange who just got a toe to the ball.

On came Murphy for Almiron and Murphy nearly made an instant impact when his shot/cross just drifted wide after being played on by the head of Ndidi.

On the 71st minute it was Leicester who were shouting penalty! As the ball came in from a cross, hit Yedlins boot and bounced up onto his elbow a quick VAR check ruled out a deliberate hand ball. However Leicester need not protest long as Maddison picks out Albrighton on the flank, Albrighton crossed the ball into the path of Youri Tielemans who slots it past Darlow who dived the other way. 2-0 to Leicester.

77th minute in and Vardy had a shot that was chipped into him over his head from Justin. Vardy unleashed a venomous half volley that would have been spot on for a crossbar challenge. Newcastle really got away with that one.

The time finally came for Bruce to put on another striker and it was Yedlin who made way for Andy Carroll. And the big man made an impact in just two minutes after coming on. 82nd minute Ritchie played in a free kick on the left side of the pitch, the ball in found a Leicester mans head which was cleared into the path of Carroll who struck a sweetly hit volley to give the Toon Army a fighting chance. 2-1. Two minutes later Carroll is on the war path as he bullies the defense to get another shot away, but unfortunately it hits Evans which goes up, and over for a corner.

Barnes had a half chance to restore Leicesters two goal margin as he got into the box on a tight angle but fired the ball into the arms of Darlow for a comfortable stop. Newcastle then went up the other end with Shelvey, free at the back he vollied in the ball only for it to miss everyone and go out of play. Harvey Barnes gad another shot deep into added time but it wide. Final Score Newcastle United 1-2 Leicester City This really was a game of two halves on the entertainment factor as the first half was rather dull and the second half quite end to end. Leicester were the better team but what might be refreshing to see was even though Newcastle were trailing, they didn't roll over and accept defeat. We as fans always say we don't demand a team who wins, we demand a team that tries. We created chance after chance with no output. So many times the ball went into the box with no one in black and white to meet it. Arsenal next and depending on which Newcastle we get and which Arsenal we face we could have a good result. By Sam West.



bottom of page